Friday, September 13, 2013

What is a Disability?

Hmm...that's a good question. What is a disability? Disability can mean many things. Everybody has a different definition of disability. Let's try something. Before you read any further, comment on this post your definition of disability. Based on your definition, who has a disability? People who look different? People who talk or walk different? Now look at the other comments. Does anything change? Let me ask you something. Do you have a disability?

Here is the definition of disability from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: "Limitation in the ability to pursue an occupation because of a physical or mental impairment."
Here is the kids definition: "Lack of ability, power, or fitness to do something."

If I have a lack of ability to get from my house to the book store because my car broke down, does that mean I have a disability? According to that definition I do.

Here is my definition of disability: I need help. That's it. I need help.

Now according to my definition, who has a disability? EVERYBODY!! That's right, according to my definition, everybody has a disability. Everybody needs help, right? Maybe you need help with simple things, like me, like eating. Or maybe you need help with educational things, like math. Maybe you need help in your spiritual life. Or maybe you need help with things like paying for your groceries. No matter what is, when it comes down to it, we ALL have a disability because we all need some kind of help.

Some people need more help than others. For example, I need help with a lot of things like brushing my teeth, getting dressed, going to the bathroom, taking a shower, etc. Just because I might need more help than others doesn't make me more disabled, does it? I mean, it's still help, right? So how come we take people who are "disabled" and classify them as different? If we did that to everybody who was different, people who needed help with math would be separated, people who needed help paying for things would be separated, everybody would be separated. So let's not classify people with visible disabilities as "different" just because they need more help than you do. Let's take it as an opportunity to help others and give what we have to offer.

2 comments:

  1. To be human is to be imperfect, impure, and incredibly complicated. As a species we are far to vain to realize this in ourselves. We lack the compassion and understanding to see things from the perspective of those different from us, and instead persecute and condemn them. Over time a brave few have spoken up and have paved the way for a brighter and more united future. For you to speak out as you are, you too are contributing to this goal. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good words Justin time!

    ReplyDelete